Self-neglect can be classified as to whether it is a result of an underlying cause (secondary) or not (primary).
Patient selection: manifest self-neglect
(1) absence of mental or physical explanation
(2) an eccentric individual making an intentional lifestyle choice
Secondary self-neglect - presence of one or more of the following:
(3) alcoholism or other substance abuse
(5) other neurodegenerative disorder
(1) elder abuse (an outside agent fails to maintain adequate living standards)
(2) physical disability (recognizes changes but physically unable to prevent)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.