Nyhuis et al identified factors that are associated with a switch in antipsychotic medication for a patient with schizophrenia. The authors are from Eli Lilly Company which funded the study.
Patient selection: schizophrenia
Time frame: first year after starting treatment with an antipsychotic agent
Factors associated with a change in the antipsychotic regimen:
(1) no history of antipsychotic drug therapy in the past year at baseline
(2) presence of depression at baseline
(3) female gender
(4) absence of substance abuse disorder
(5) worsening of anxiety and depression during the first 2 weeks of therapy
(6) worsening of akathisia (motor restlessness) during the first 2 weeks of therapy
The likelihood of a switch occurring increases with the number of risk factors present.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical