Atherton et al identified factors associated with persistent neck pain following whiplash injury. The authors are from the University of Aberdeen.
Patient selection: history of whiplash injury with neck pain
Predictors of persistent neck pain:
(1) high level of general psychological distress
(2) pre-collision history of widespread body pain
(3) vehicle other than car
(4) number of whiplash related symptoms (>= 5 symptoms, out of 10)
(5) initial neck disability (initial Neck Disability Index >= 19)
Number of Factors
Percent with Persistent Pain
Other factors present soon after injury:
(1) cervical bone tenderness
(2) presence of neurological signs and symptoms
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.