Altamirano et al identified factors associated with abstinence in a patient waiting for liver transplantation for alcholic liver disease. The authors are from multiple hospitals in Barcelona.
Patient selection: alchoholic
Predictors of alcohol cessation:
(1) awareness of alcohol’s toxicity
(2) family recognition of alcohol’s toxicity
Predictors of 6-month abstinence:
(3) cessation of alcohol consumption at diagnosis (first knowledge) of alcoholic liver disease
Use of alcohol-free beer in a person who did not stop alcohol consumption at diagnosis was associated with a higher rate of abstinence.
Additional factors from the univariate analysis:
(1) awareness of alcohol dependence
(2) honest attitude to alcohol dependence (vs denial-defensive or other)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Psychiatry, Toxicology, Surgery, general