A woman with a urea cycle enzyme deficiency may present with mental status change, psychiatric disorder or coma in the postpartum period.
Inheritance: X-linked, with woman as asymptomatic carrier
Trigger for metabolic imbalance: prolonged catabolic state
Clues to the diagnosis:
(1) history of avoiding of high protein foods
(2) history of unexplained headaches or other neurologic findings
(3) history of other family members with similar history
(4) diagnosis of urea cycle enzyme deficiency in child
The patient may show:
(3) orotic aciduria
(4) cerebral edema with respiratory alkalosis
Failures in diagnosis:
(1) misdiagnosis of post-partum depression
(2) failure to measure blood ammonia
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology