A patient with Goodpasture's disease may benefit from plasmapheresis or plasma exchange.
Goal: to quickly reduce anti-GBM antibodies
Pulmonary hemorrhage is a key indication for plasmapheresis.
Treatment usually involves:
(1) daily for plasmapheresis sessions 8 to 14 days
(2) concurrent therapy with oral prednisone and cyclophosphamide, which is continued for weeks or months after completing the plasmapheresis
Factors associated with a better outcome"
(1) mild to moderate renal disease
(2) rapid response to therapy
Factors associated with a worse outcome:
(1) dialysis-dependent at presentation
(2) advanced disease on kidney biopsy
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory, Hematology Oncology, Immunology/Rheumatology