Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections (PANDAS) refers to obsessive-compulsive (OCD) or tic disorder that is triggered by a streptococcal infection.
Criteria for the diagnosis:
(1) presence of obsessive-compulsive and/or tic disorder
(2) onset between 3 years of age and the start of puberty (pediatric prepubertal)
(3) episodic in nature (abrupt onset or dramatic/sudden exacerbation)
(4) episodes are temporally related to Group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus infections
(5) neurological abnormalities occur during symptom exacerbations
• The tic disorder may include Tourette's syndrome.
• Symptoms decrease significantly between episodes and may even disappear only to reappear with the next infection.
(1) Sydenham's chorea (associated with frank chorea)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.