Multifocal granulomatous folliculitis (MGF, or "palpation thyroiditis") can be caused by a number of causes including aggressive palpation of the thyroid gland.
Possible causes of MGF:
(1) recent history of neck palpation
(2) neck surgery
(4) trauma to the neck
(5) compression of normal thyroid tissue by a thyroid nodule
(1) histologic features (histiocytes, foamy macrophages, lymphocytes and multinucleated giant cells within the lumen of thyroid follicles)
(2) often the absence of clinical thyroid disease
(3) exclusion of other forms of thyroiditis
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Endocrinology, Clinical Laboratory