Chronic use of marijuana (cannabis) can affect oral health, often severely.
Complications seen in marijuana users:
(1) periodontitis and gingivitis
(3) hyposalivation with xerostomia
(4) leukoplakia, dysplasia and/or oral cancer
(5) temporomandibular joint pain
(6) oral trauma
Risk factors for poor oral health:
(1) heavy, long-term marijuana use
(2) concurrent use of tobacco
(3) concurrent alcohol abuse
(4) poor oral hygiene
(5) lack of regular dental care
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Otolaryngology, Clinical Pharmacology