A person with the Olfactory Reference Syndrome (ORS) believes that he or she is giving off an odor that is offensive to others despite contradictory evidence..
Features of ORS:
(1) fear of exuding a foul or offensive body odor
(2) continued belief despite reassurance from others that there is no offensive odor
(3) preoccupation results in distress and/or impairment
(4) no other disorder can explain the findings better (schizophenia, other psychosis, drug of abuse, medication, general medical condition)
(5) variable insight
A person with ORS may show features of:
(1) social anxiety disorder or phobia
(3) obsessive-compulsive disorder
(4) delusional disorder somatic type
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.