A patient with a severe deficiency in one or more essential nutrients can develop an optic neuropathy with loss of vision. Although reversible if caught early, it can lead to permanent blindness.
(2) highly-restricted diet (junk food only, other)
(3) status post bariatric surgery
Nutritional deficiencies may include:
(2) vitamin B12
(3) other B vitamins (B1, B6)
(4) vitamin E
(1) papillomacular bundle damage
(2) central scotoma
(3) reduction in color vision
(1) tobacco-alcohol optic neuropathy
(2) hereditary optic neuropathy
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Nutrition