A wide range of conditions other than drugs may be associated with papilledema.
Patient selection: swelling of the optic disc
Conditions to consider:
(1) pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
(2) any space-occupying lesion in the CNS (tumor, abscess, cyst, etc)
(3) decreased resorption of the cerebrospinal fluid
(4) increased CSF production
(5) obstruction of the ventricular system (obstructive hydrocephalus)
(6) infectious encephalitis
(7) toxic encephalitis (methanol, lead, carbon dioxide)
(8) metabolic encephalitis
(9) cerebral edema
(11) malignant hypertension
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.