The NO TEARS tool is intended to help prompt physicians to perform medication review. It can help reduce polypharmacy, drug costs and adverse drug reactions.
(1) eliminate unnecessary drugs
(2) reduce drug dosings per day
(3) reduce adverse effects
(4) reduce errors in adherence
(5) switch to cheaper alternatives
Need and indication
Tests and monitoring
Evidence and guidelines
Risk reduction and prevention
Simplification and switches
The questions for each sample can vary depending on the patient and the underlying conditions.
Need and indications: 4 questions
Open questions: 3 questions
Tests and monitoring: 3 questions
Evidence and guidelines: 3 questions
Adverse events: 6 questions
Risk reduction and prevention: 2 questions
Simplification and switches: 4 questions
• The tool is more a mnemonic than a standardized questionnaire. While this allows it to be highly adaptable it use is likely to be highly variable between practitioners.
• While mnemonics are fine, access to information technology means that more specific tools can be used.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical