The NIH Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Network developed a ventilator strategy using a lower tidal volume. The patient can be weaned once certain criteria are met.
Weaning criteria - all of the following should be present:
(1) FIO2 < 0.4
(2) PEEP < 8 cm H2O
(3) systolic blood pressure > 90 mm Hg
(4) The patient is not receiving neuromuscular blocking agents.
(5) The patient is not receiving vasopressors.
(6) The patient is making inspiratory efforts.
• Inspiratory effort can be detected by watching the patient for 5 minutes after decreasing the ventilator rate to 50% of baseline.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.