National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) listed indications for referring a patient with psychosis or schizophrenia to secondary care.
Patient selection: psychosis or schizophrenia
Indications for referral:
(1) poor response to therapy with an appropriate agent in an appropriate dosage for a long enough period
(2) non-compliance with therapy
(3) intolerable adverse effects from therapy
(4) concurrent drug or alcohol abuse
(5) risk to self (suicidal)
(6) risk to others
Additional reasons may include:
(1) uncertainty about the diagnosis
(2) comorbid conditions complicating therapy
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.