Yosipovitch et al developed a scale for describing the impact of pruritus on a patient's sleep. The authors are from Rabin Medical Center and Tel Aviv University in Israel.
(1) difficulty in falling to sleep
(2) disturbance in sleep
(3) need for soporifics
Response for Each Parameter
• The sleep difficulties from pruritus need to be distinguished from depression or other conditions.
• The original responses were almost always, sometimes and never.
• One option is to change the point assignments to 0, 0.5, 1, 3 and 5 to reflect nonlinear impact.
• Another modification would be to add a measure for overall sleep quality.
• A person who needs a soporific often or almost always is at risk for dependency if an addictive agent is used.
total score =
= SUM(points for all 3 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 12
• The higher the score the more the patient's sleep is impacted by the pruritus.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.