Sun et al modified the Gastrointestinal Failure (GIF) score of Reintam et al. The authors are from Nanjing Medical University in China.
Patient selection: severe acute pancreatitis, evaluated during the first 3 days in the ICU
(1) number of symptoms associated with food intolerance (nausea, vomiting, high gastric residual volumes, abdominal pain, abdominal distension, diarrhea)
(2) intra-abdominal pressure in mm Hg
(3) serum endotoxin concentration in pg/mL (Gold Mountainriver Technology Development Corporation, Limited)
(4) CT imaging findings
symptoms of food intolerance
1 or 2
< 12 mm Hg
12 to 20 mm Hg
> 20 mm Hg
abdominal compartment syndrome
< 10 pg/mL
10 to 50 pg/mL
> 50 pg/mL
bowel wall thickening OR intestinal extension
bowel wall thickening AND intestinal extension
• Bowel wall thickening is a wall thickness >= 3 mm.
• Intestinal extension is a dilatation > 2.5 cm in CT images.
total score =
= SUM(points for all of the parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 8
0 or 1
2 to 4
5 to 8
• The area under the ROC curve was 0.92 for in-hospital mortality, 0.83 for MODS and 0.80 for pancreatic infection.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Critical Care, Pulmonology