Thomson et al reported a model for predicting readmission to the intensive care unit (ICU) after cardiac surgery. The authors are from St. George's Hospital in London.
Patient selection: cardiac surgery
(1) surgical acuity
(3) chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 3 to 5
(5) EuroSCORE (logistic)
(6) ICNARC (Intensive Care National Audit and Research Center) score
(7) preoperative history of neurological disease
(8) aortic valve surgery
(9) postoperative anemia
urgent (and presumably emergent)
CKD stage 3-5
preoperative neurological disease
aortic valve surgery
• The cutoffs for the EuroSCORE and ICNARC were not stated.
• Patients who were readmitted a logistic EuroSCORE of 4.5 to 11.1 with mean 6.6. Patients who were not readmitted had a EuroSCORE from 2.5 to 7.9 with mean 4.5. >= 6 will be used in the implementation.
• Patients who were readmitted had an ICNARC score from 11 to 19 with mean 14. Patients who were not readmitted had scores from 9 to 15 with mean of 12. >= 14 will be used in the implementation.
total score =
= SUM(points for all 9 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 15
• The higher the score the greater the risk of ICU readmission.
4 or 5
6 or 7
8 or 9
10 to 15
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Critical Care, Surgery, general