The volume of the liver can be estimated in vivo from equations using 3 measurements obtained during ultrasound examination.
liver volume in mL =
= (-2364) + (89.2 * (CC in cm)) + (119.9 * (AP in cm)) + (59.6 * (LL in cm))
= 133.2 + (0.422 * (CC in cm) * (AP in cm) * (LL in cm))
• CC: maximum cranio-caudal diameter measured on a longitudinal scan along the mid-clavicular line, running parallel to the xipho-umbilical line
• AP: maximum antero-posterior diameter measured on a longitudinal scan along the mid-clavicular line, running parallel to the xipho-umbilical line
• LL: maximum latero-lateral diameter measured in a transverse subcostal scan
Performance compared to CT volume determination:
• R^2 for equation 1: 0.773; standard error 167 mL
• R^2 for equation 2: 0.756; standard error 163 mL
Sources of variability:
(1) Focal lesions causing asymmetry.
(2) Normal variability in hepatic size and shape.
(3) Operator technique and selection of maximum diameter.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.