Occasionally a patient infected with cytomegalovirus (CMV) may develop a marked lymphocytosis.
(1) marked lymphocytosis which may persist for some time
(2) evidence of infection with CMV
(3) variable infectious mononucleosis-like syndrome
The proliferation should be polyclonal.
(1) acute leukemia
(2) other clonal lymphoproliferation
(3) drug reaction
Other infections associated with lymphocytosis:
(1) Epstein Barr virus (EBV)
(5) viral hepatitis
(9) cat-scratch disease (Bartonella henselae)
(10) HIV (CD8 T-cell lymphocytosis, diffuse infiltrative lymphocytosis syndrome)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology, Infectious Diseases