Helkimo used a mandibular mobility index to evaluate function and dysfunction in the masticatory system. The author is from the University of Groteborg in Sweden.
(1) maximal opening of the mouth in mm
(2) maximal lateral movement to the right in mm
(3) maximal lateral movement to the left in mm
(4) maximal protrusion in mm
maximal opening of the mouth in mm
>= 40 mm
30 – 39 mm
< 30 mm
maximal lateral movement to the right in mm
>= 7 mm
4 – 6 mm
<= 3 mm
maximal lateral movement to the left in mm
maximal protrusion in mm
total score =
= SUM(points for all 4 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 20
• The higher the score the greater the dysfunction in mandibular mobility.
1 to 4
5 to 20
• I would think that severely impaired could be subdivided further.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.