Constipation can be reduced or eliminated by identifying and treating the causes.
(1) Ensure that the patient is well-hydrated.
(2) Avoid foods associated with constipation.
(3) Eat a diet rich in fiber.
(4) Use a bulk-forming agent such as psyllium.
(5) Encourage mobility.
(6) Adequately treat underling diseases (endocrine, gastrointestinal, other).
(1) Avoid drugs associated with constipation if possible.
(2) Use the lowest possible dose of constipating agents.
(3) Consider changing to a non-constipating alternative.
(4) For opioid analgesics, alternate routes and agents.
(5) Consider use of a laxative.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.