Liddle et al described a familial disorder with hypertension and often with hypokalemia.
Inheritance: autosomal dominant
Mechanism: defect in apical sodium transport associated with a mutation in one of the 3 subunits (alpha, beta, gamma).
(1) early onset hypertension affecting multiple family members
(2) usually with hypokalemia but sometimes with normokalemia
(3) plasma rennin and aldosterone levels are low
(4) clinical response to triamterene and other inhibitors of epithelial sodium transport
(5) lack of response to spironolactone and other mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a patient with hypertension for clinical features suggesting Liddle syndrome.
Objective: other testing, criteria for diagnosis, differential diagnosis and mimics, red flags, comorbid conditions
ICD-10: I15.1, E87.6, I12,