For some sports there are weight classes. A person may attempt to lose weight to meet a cutoff by intentional loss of water.
People who may attempt to lose weight by intentional water loss:
(1) wrestlers, boxers, martial artists, etc
(3) people obsessed about weight
Methods may include:
(1) wrapping the body in plastic or saran wrap before exercising
(2) use of a sauna or hot box
(3) diuretic use
(4) laxative use
Any weight loss is water and temporary.
Significant problems can occur with:
(1) Electrolyte imbalance.
(2) Heat stress, especially during the summer.
(3) Toxicity of medications or herbal products used.
(4) Comorbid conditions like renal dysfunction.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic