A person who bench presses may develop a number of overuse injuries including one affecting the tendon insertion of the pectoralis minor muscle.
(1) history of bench pressing or similar physical exertion
(2) medial juxta-coracoid tenderness
(3) pain during active contraction of the pectoralis minor muscle (thrusting forward of the painful shoulder against resistance while lying supine)
(4) pain medial to the coracoid while bench pressing
(5) absence of other clinical or radiological explanations, including rupture of the pectoralis minor muscle
(6) pain relief by corticosteroid injection into the enthesis of the pectoralis minor muscle plus rest plus stretching exercises
• The corticosteroid injection is performed under ultrasound guidance.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic