A patient with diabetes should be referred to an eye specialist under a number of conditions.
Conditions that may benefit form laser photocoagulation:
(1) presence of macular edema
(2) moderate or severe nonproliferative diabetic retinopathy (NPDR)
(3) presence of proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR)
Additional reasons to refer a diabetic to an eye specialist:
(1) need for specialized testing (fluorescein angiography, retinal photography, etc)
(4) onset of pregnancy
(5) reduction in vision from any cause
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Endocrinology