A patient with severe asthma may require respiratory support if there is evidence of respiratory failure.
Patient selection: hospitalized patient with severe anemia
Indications for respiratory support (intubation with mechanical ventilation):
(1) coma or worsening mental status
(3) hemodynamic instability
(4) signs of exhaustion despite optimum bronchodilator therapy
(5) refractory hypoxemia with PaO2 < 60 mm Hg
(6) persistent hypercapnia with PaCO2 > 55 to 77 mm Hg
(7) increasing PaCO2 at > 5 mm Hg per hour
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.