A pediatric patient may be a candidate to receive a vaccine against dengue fever.
The vaccine is a live-attenuated vaccine.
Indications for use of the Dengvaxia vaccine - all of the following:
(1) pediatric patient from 9 to 16 years of age
(2) living in an area where dengue is endemic
(3) confirmation of a previous infection (highly-specificserodiagnostic test, etc)
The vaccine is given in 3 doses, each 6 months apart.
(1) severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine
(2) severe immunodeficiency or immunosuppression
(2a) HIV infection with CD4+ lymphocyte count < 200 per microliter
Vaccination of a sero-negative patient may be associated with severe disease if the patient is re-exposed to natural dengue.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology