Administration of a vaccine to protect against Salmonella enterica serotype typhi is indicated under certain circumstances.
Typhoid vaccines available:
(1) oral (live attenuated strain Ty21a)
(2) parenteral (capsular Vi polysaccharide)
Indications for administration of a typhoid fever vaccine:
(1) travel to a region endemic for Salmonella enterica serotype typhi
(2) a household contact of a typhoid carrier ("Typhoid Mary")
(3) laboratory worker who has a high probability of handling Salmonella enterica isolates
(4) when the risk of epidemic spread is high (as a mass immunization program)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases, Pharmacology, clinical