An incidental adrenal mass can be identified as a myelolipoma based on features seen on imaging studies.
Components of a myelolipoma:
(1) erythyroid and myeloid elements ("myelo")
(2) adipose tissue ("lipoma")
Findings seen on imaging studies:
(1) low attenuation (density) on unenhanced CT scan (<= 10 Hounsfield units)
(2) hyperintense on T1-weighted in-phase MRI
(3) evidence of pure fat on CT scan or ultrasound (highly reflective)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Endocrinology, Clinical Laboratory, Hematology Oncology