In 2000 a Consensus Development Panel listed criteria for HIV-associated wasting at a meeting in New York City.
HIV-associated wasting is present if one or more of the following is present:
(1) unintentional weight loss over 12 months > 10%
(2) unintentional weight loss over 6 months > 7.5%
(3) loss of body cell mass (BCM) over 6 months > 5%
(4) body mass index (BMI) < 20 jg per square meter
(5) body mass index < 27 kg per square meter AND low body cell mass (see table)
Low Body Cell Mass
< 35% of body weight
< 23% of body weight
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate an HIV-positive patient for HIV-associated wasting using the criteria of the Consensus Development Panel.
Specialty: Nutrition, Hematology Oncology
Objective: criteria for diagnosis, options, disease progression