A HIV-positive patient may develop a combination of parotid gland lesions and lymphoid hyperplasia.
Patient selection: HIV positive
Constellation of findings:
(1) unilateral or bilateral enlargement of the parotid glands due to multiple benign lymphoepithelial parotid lesions, which may be solid, cystic or mixed
(2) diffuse cervical hyperplastic lymphadenopathy
(3) hyperplastic adenoidal tissue
• Some patients with AIDS will present with a diffuse enlargement of the parotid glands.
• Some of the parotid nodules may measure 2-3 cm in diameter.
A patient with all 3 of the findings listed should be screened for HIV disease.
(1) parotid neoplasm (Warthin tumor, carcinoma, etc)
(2) malignant lymphoma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a patient with enlargement of one or both parotid glands.
Objective: complication detection
ICD-10: B21.9, B23.2,