The presence of active lesions in glomeruli is an important histologic feature in lupus nephritis.
Active lesions of lupus nephritis that can be seen in renal glomeruli:
(1) disruption of capillary walls
(2) neutrophilic infiltrate with karyorrhexis
(3) hematoxyphil bodies
(4) cellular or fibrocellular crescents
(5) wire loops
(6) hyaline or fibrin thrombi
(7) segmental fibrin deposits
The activity can be graded from minimal to marked. In the current implementation the histologic findings are listed as present or absent. An alternative approach would be to use a Likert scale of none, few, some, many.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Nephrology, Clinical Laboratory, Immunology/Rheumatology