A number of herbal or nutritional supplements can contribute to dry eye or make it worse. Herbal and nutritional supplements often go unrecognized unless asked about specifically.
Herbs and nutritional supplements associated with dry eye:
(4) any containing anticholinergic alkaloids
(5) any containing estrogenic compounds (see hormone-related dry eye, above)
(5) any causing an elevation in prolactin
(1) Identify all herbal and nutritional supplements that the person is taking.
(2) Look up the adverse effects associated with each supplement.
(3) Try to determine from the history if dry eye was present before starting the supplement.
(4) Discontinue any supplements and see if the dry eye improves.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Immunology/Rheumatology