Some people tend to keep unused or outdated drugs around the home. Failure to dispose of these medications can result in a number of problems.
Problems of storing unused or outdated medications:
(1) Diversion for abuse if the drug is a controlled substance.
(2) Accidental ingestion by a small child or pet.
(3) Accidental ingestion when mistaken for another medication that has a similar appearance.
(4) Treating a disorder using a drug that is no longer potent.
(5) Treating a disorder with an inappropriate drug.
Reasons people keep pharmaceuticals around:
(1) general tendency to hoard things
(2) not wanting to throw away something that cost a lot of money
(3) just might need it again
(4) lack of awareness of potential hazards
(5) not sure of how to dispose of the drugs properly
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical