An aerosol formed from a chemotherapy fluid can be a hazard for patients and personnel.Fortunately, the risk of aerosol formation is low.
An aerosol of chemotherapy fluids may be created:
(1) intentionally, as in PIPAC (pressurized intraperitoneal aerosol chemotherapy)
(2a) bag rupture
(2b) pump malfunction
(2c) failure in the delivery system
(1) inhalation if personal protective equipment not being worn
(2) environmental surface contamination with passive transfer of the toxic chemical
(1) personal protective equipment (PPE)
(2) proper ventilation
(3) environmental monitoring
(4) personnel monitoring and training
(5) care in fluid and equipment handling
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical