A simple clinical index of Crohn's disease activity can be useful in monitoring the patient over time and to evaluate the response to therapeutic interventions.
Items in the simple index:
(1) general well-being
(2) abdominal pain
(3) number of liquid stools per day (I assume bowel movements with liquid stools)
(4) abdominal mass
(5) complications (arthralgias, uveitis, erythema nodosum, aphthous ulcers, pyoderma gangrenosum, anal fissure, new fistula, abscess)
For outpatients the first 3 items are scored based on the status of the patient on the day prior to the examination, in order to minimize any effect introduced by coming to the clinic visit.
slightly below par
number of liquid stools per day
definite and tender
simple index =
= SUM(points for findings present)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 17 + number of liquid bowel movements
• The higher the index, the more severe the disease activity.
• The index was demonstrated to correlate well with other disease activity indices.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.