Gustatory hyperlacrimation is the shedding of tears triggered by eating or drinking. It often can be controlled by injection of botulinum toxin.
Synonym: Bogorad’s syndrome
The term “crocodile tears” is based on the belief that a crocodile sheds tears before it eats.
Features of crocodile tears:
(1) The patient begins to tear prior to or while eating or drinking
(2) The tearing may be unilateral or bilateral.
It may occur:
(1) as a congenital disorder (Duane’s retraction syndrome, other)
(2) following vestibular schwannoma surgery
(3) following Bell’s palsy
(4) following trauma
(5) with Guillain-Barre syndrome
(6) with cerebellopontine angle meningioma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.