Gun owners love to argue about the differences between a silencer and a suppressor. These devices may be heavily regulated or banned.
Synonym: sound moderator
The suppressor/silencer is a cyclindrical device placed at a gun's muzzle.
Features that can be suppressed:
(1) sound (muzzle report)
(2) muzzle flash
(1) It is difficult to completely eliminate all sound. Most devices reduce or alter the sound so that it is not as noticeable.
(2) Ammunition that goes above the sound barrier produces a sonic boom, which is not eliminated (ballistic crack).
(3) The cycling of the gun parts can produce sounds.
(4) The impact of the bullet on target can produce a sound.
(5) Ear protection is still required.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.