Early onset neonatal sepsis due to Group B Streptococcus (GBS) is associated with certain risk factors.
Patient selection: neonate < 7 days old
Risk factors for early onset GBS sepsis:
(1) maternal colonization with Group B Streptococcus during the pregnancy
(2) history of a sibling with neonatal invasive Group B Streptococcus infection
(3) delivery at < 37 weeks gestation
(4) prolonged rupture of the membranes (>= 18 hours)
(6) Black race
(7) low maternal serum levels of anticapsular antibodies to Group B Streptococcus
(8) young maternal age
Factors reducing the risk of early onset GBS sepsis:
(1) adequate and appropriate chemoprophylaxis
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To identify a neonate with risk factors for early onset sepsis associated with Group B Streptococcus (GBS).
Specialty: Pedatrics, Infectious Diseases
Objective: risk factors
ICD-10: A40.1, O23,