The severity of schistocytosis can be graded based on the percent schistocytes present.
The examination is performed under oil immersion (100x objective) with 200 cells counted.
When evaluating schistocytosis it is important not to include:
(1) red cell fragments from iron deficiency
(2) schistocytes generated in vitro
(3) sickled cells associated with a hemoglobinopathy
1.30 to 4.79%
4.80% to 9.60%
Severe hemolytic anemia may not show a large number of schistocytes if:
(1) the spleen and liver rapidly remove the fragements
(2) hemolysis is complete with no circulating fragments
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology, Clinical Laboratory