The Gold Standard Framework lists criteria for identifying a patient who may require end-of-life care.
Patient selection: serious illness
Criteria for end-stage illness – one or more of the following:
(1) unintended weight loss > 10% in the past 6 months
(2) general physical decline
(3) Karnofsky score < 50% (declining performance status)
(4) serum albumin < 2.5 g/dL (25 g/L)
• The criteria tend to be sensitive but not specific.
• If the goal is early detection then this may not be a problem.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a patient with a serious disease using the Gold Standards Framework criteria for end-stage illness.
Objective: end-of-life, palliative care