Gold rushes have existed throughout history. The mentality can also be seen in business or any endeavor where there is a shared belief that a large amount of money is available to anyone who wants it.
Features of gold rush fever:
(1) The onset of an intense anticipation ("fever") of becoming rich.
(2) The underlying motivation is greed.
(3) The person believes that the goal is within the person's reach if s/he is bold enough to seize it.
(4) There is a willingness to undergo significant hardship to achieve the goal.
(5) There is a perceived need to rush in order to get a share before it is gone.
The fever is most noticeable when it effects a stable member of society who drops everything to pursue take part in the rush. In some ways it is a shared mania within a population.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.