Patients should participate in their asthma management if they are capable of doing so. A clinician should evaluate a patient's ability self-manage his or her asthma.
Skills needed for self-management:
(1) ability to follow a written action plan
(2) ability to seek medical care when it is needed
(3) ability to recognize signs and symptoms associated with an asthma exacerbation
(4) ability to take medications appropriately
(5) ability to use a peak flow meter appropriately
(6) ability to monitor her or his response to medications
A patient is deficient in one or more of these skills should be educated in why the skill is needed and how to achieve it.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.