Morris et al estimated the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in children based on plasma creatinine and body height. The authors are from Guy's Hospital in London.
Patient selection: age 2 to 14 years
(1) plasma creatinine in µmol/L
(2) height in cm
estimated GFR in mL per min per 1.73 square meter =
= 40 * (height in cm) / (plasma creatinine)
• 1.73 square meter is the body surface area (BSA) for an adult. Perchance some other metric might be more applicable to a pediatric patient.
• The actual GFR was measured using disappearance of 51-Cr-EDTA.
• The formula is most accurate in children with a GFR < 80 mL per min per 1.73 square m BSA.
• The formula was able to detect a change in GFR of 9 mL per min per 1.73 square m BSA.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Nephrology, Clinical Laboratory