Some patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) may develop significant fatigue which can negatively impact the patient's quality of life (QOL).
The mechanisms for fatigue appear to be complex. Perceived fatigue may be a consequence of central, peripheral, mental and physical fatigue.
Clinical findings associated with fatigue:
(1) autonomic dysfunction
(3) increased disease severity
(5) female gender
Factors that may contribute to fatigue:
(2) disordered sleep
(4) muscle weakness and/or deconditioning
(1) The nature of the fatigue may change over time.
(2) Management may need to address multiple underlying factors.
(3) Pharmacological control of one or more key symptoms may impact fatigue.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.