Failure to Rescue (FTR) is used as a surgical outcome and quality measure.
Patient selection: surgical patient
(1) number of patients having a complication after surgery
(2) number of patients with a complication who died
= (number of patients with a complication who died) / (number of patients with a complication)
• The lower the ratio the better.
• A ratio higher than peers (surgeons or institutions) may indicate the presence of a problem and needs to be investigated.
Limitations in use:
(1) preventability of complications or death
(2) emergency vs elective surgery
(3) use of modifications (inclusion or exclusion of certain complications)
(4) complexity of surgery
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.