Eminoglu et al evaluated the quality of life for children treated with restricted diet for an inherited metabolic disease. The authors are from Gazi University in Ankara, Turkey.
Patient selection: pediatric patient with an inherited metabolic disease requiring a restricted diet
Factors associated with a worse quality of life:
(1) difficulty in complying with the dietary restrictions
(2) poor adherence to the restricted diet
(3) severity of symptoms
(4) delay in diagnosis or start of dietary restrictions
(5) inadequate followup
(6) poor coping strategies
(7) inability to participate in activities with other children
(8) lack of support for problems that develop
The quality of life for patient and family tends to decline as the disease progresses.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.