A patient born small for gestational age (SGA) may show reduced exercise capacity as an adolescent or adult.
Patient selection: adolescent or adult born small for gestational age
(1) reduced exercise capacity
(2) decreased maximal workload on exercise testing
(3) decreased oxygen consumption on exercise testing
Each patient needs to be evaluated to identify possible explanations:
Conditions to pay attention to:
(1) cardiac dysfunction (low LV mass index, smaller biventricular cardiac chamber size, other)
(2) pulmonary sequelae of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome
(3) occult inborn error of metabolism
(4) reduced muscle mass
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic