A patient who has had a hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) for a childhood cancer may experience exercise intolerance.
Patient selection: cancer survivor with history of a hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT)
Factors associated with poor exercise tolerance:
(1) cardiac toxicity from chemotherapy
(2) abnormal respiratory function
(3) skeletal muscle dysfunction
(4) systemic inflammation (Graft vs Host Disease, cytokine effects, other)
(5) disuse atrophy
(1) low amounts of daily physical activity
(2) poor aerobic exercise capacity
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic